The governing body of the Elko Band of the Te-Moak Tribe of Western Shoshone Indians began when it was provided the opportunity to organize in 1938 by the Consitution and Bylaws of the Te-Moak Bands of Western Shoshone Indians of Nevada per the Indian Reorganization Act of June 18, 1934 as amended by the Act of June 15, 1935.
Initially, the 1938 Constitution gave opportunity for groups of at least 100 Indians who were members of the Te-Moak Bands to organize for local, self-government. The Te-Moak Western Shoshone Council recognized and delegated powers to the group at the Elko Colony to establish a governing body who would be known as the Elko Colony Community Committee or the Elko Community Council.
In 1982, the Constitution was amended to improve the governing structure as initially established. The amended Constitution would further define the Constituent Bands of the Te-Moak Tribe as: the Western Shoshone Indians located at Elko, Battle Mountain, and South Fork, Nevada who are affiliated with the Elko Colony, the Battle Mountain Colony, and the South Fork Indian Reservation (which included Ruby Valley and Odgers Ranch). During this time the Western Shoshone Indians located at Wells, Nevada who are affiliated with the Wells Colony were also added as a Consituent Band.
Since 1982, the governing body of the Elko Indian Colony is formally recognized as the Elko Band Council of the Te-Moak Tribe of Western Shoshone Indians of Nevada.